If you are looking for accommodation while doing the End to End cycle or any other cycle in fact. Then I would recommend you check out the Beds for Cyclists website.
Thinking of doing the End to End cycle? Thinking of camping for some or all of it? Then check out the Camp in my Garden website. It’s the first and only website advertising private gardens as micro campsites; providing accessible, affordable and fun alternatives to traditional accommodation.
Right now they are not that many camping sites listed. But it’s growing fast.
If you live along a route that people often use doing the End to End cycle. Then why not get your own garden listed? Sign up for free at campinmygarden.com/signup and add your garden!
Below the what the accommodation is going to cost for the 2011 JOGLE cycle.
- Day 0: Saturday 6th August 2011 – travelling up to John O’Groats – £19.50.
- Day 1: Sunday 7th August 2011 – John O’Groats to Tongue – £17.50.
- Day 2: Monday 8th August 2011 – Tongue to Carbisdale Castle – £22.50.
- Day 3: Tuesday 9th August 2011 – Carbisdale Castle to Loch Ness – £19.50.
- Day 4: Wednesday 10th August 2011 – Loch Ness to Glencoe – £20.00.
- Day 5: Thursday 11th August 2011 – Glencoe to Killearn – Free staying with family.
- Day 6: Friday 12th August 2011 – Killearn to New Lanark – £16.75.
£115.75 for the Scottish section, per person.
- Day 7: Saturday 13th August 2011 – New Lanark to Carlisle – £23.00.
- Day 8: Sunday 14th August 2011 – Carlisle to Slaidburn – £16.40
- Day 9: Monday 15th August 2011 – Slaidburn to Chester (may change).
- Day 10: Tuesday 16th August 2011 – Chester to Clun (may change) £16.40.
- Camping at Clum Mill from around £10.00, saving £6.40.
- Day 11: Wednesday 17th August 2011 – Clun to Welsh Bicknor – £16.40.
- Camping at Welsh Bicknor from around £10.00 saving £6.40.
- Day 12: Thursday 18th August 2011 – Welsh Bicknor to Street – £22.40.
- Day 13: Friday 19th August 2011 – Street to Okehampton – £23.00.
- Camping at Okehampton from around £10.00, saving £13.00.
- Day 14: Saturday 20th August 2011 – Okehampton to Perranporth – £20.40
- Day 15: Sunday 21st August 2011 – Perranporth to Land’s End – £20.40.
- Camping at Land’s End from around £10.00, saving £10.40.
- Day 16: Monday 22nd August 2011 – travelling back home.
£142 for the English section, per person. If camping costs £105.80. Also need to find accommodation for Chester, since the YHA has closed.
Total price = £257.75 (with camping £221.55). Plus one of one off cost of joining the SYHA/YHA for £10.
All prices correct at 04/03/2011.
I often get asked just how much the End to End cycle cost me. Here is total cost…. it was… wait for it…. £1,667.85. This does not include the food, which I have still to work out. The cost could have been much less, if I had not got a new bike for the cycle, which set me back £549.99. I also got a GPS for the £323.99, which I could have done the cycle without it, just made things easier since I did not have to get out paper maps all the time.
Also lots of the items below are one off costs. The bike, should do me for at least 5 to 10 years. The GPS, also gets used all the time. So next time, I do the End to End cycle, means I will only really have to spend money on accommodation and food.
Below is a list of the things I got for doing the End to End cycle and how much they cost.
|Garmin Edge 705 GPS||£323.99||Wiggle|
|OS Travel Maps x 5||£24.95|
|LifeLine Workshop Tool Kit||£57.98||Wiggle|
|Arkel XM45 Extreme Mountain Touring Panniers||£146.76||Edinburgh Bicycle Cooperative|
|LifeLine Stainless Bolts Pack of 4 (M5 12mm)||£1.75||Wiggle|
|Marin Muirwoods 29ER ’09 (Colour: Black Size: 19″)||£549.99||Edinburgh Bicycle Cooperative|
|Shimano PD-M520 Pedals (Black)||£30.99||Wiggle|
|LifeLine Alloy Disc Brake Rear Rack (Black)||£21.99||Wiggle|
|Memory-Map National Cycle Network||£19.57|
|Zipp Carbon Bottle Cage (Carbon Black)||£35.20||Wiggle|
|Camelbak Rain Cover Small/Medium 16 To 25L||11.43||Wiggle|
|Assos Chamois Cream||£9.67||Wiggle|
|Rema Tip Top TT02 Touring Puncture Repair Outfit||£3.29||Wiggle|
|XM-45 Rain Covers||£29.99||Fat Birds Don’t Fly|
|Las Victory Helmets (54-59cm)||£99.99||Wiggle|
|Cateye Rear Carrier Mounting||£2.63||Wiggle|
|Giro Zero Mitts (Med)||£21.99||Wiggle|
|dhb Clear Windproof Jacket (Small)||£30.79||Wiggle|
Since given this website a new look last weekend. I have been working on adding lots of new contains to the website.
So far I have added the following:-
- Accommodation – The accommodation that I stayed in while doing the cycle.
- Contact me – This page really speaks for it’s self.
- Checklist – List of the stuff I took while doing the End to End cycle.
- Weather – Links to useful weather websites.
I have updated the JOGLE route pages, so each day now contains the current weather for that section of the cycle.
Coming soon GPS route data, so you can download my JOGLE End to End cycle route to your own GPS.